Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Unknown Crossover

  1. #1
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Please have a look at these crossovers N1500-8A.

    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

    I've never seen such a design before. At first glance they give the impression of beeing a quality product. Seller says they could be from GPA. Since I just want to build up my 604's they could be a good deal for me. Any comments?
    Thanks and best regards
    Ralph

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Without seeing the trace side of the board to determine exact topology, i'd say they look like a modern replacement of the 32343 network which was a 1500hz network with eq/compensation for the HF and possibly a zobel for the LF, plus the addition of a MF pad which probably attenuates the upper portion of the LF.

    OR

    It's simply a 1500hz version of the model 19 XO.

    I wonder about the function of the small radial electrolytics.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    N1500-8A is the crossover for 604-8L, "... hand built for Altec Professional by Great Plains Audio, USA," according to the 604 Forever matrix:

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Summary.pdf

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ZilchLab's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2007
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No way to edit my own post?

    If the seller has more, and is willing to send me one, I'll do the schematic....

  5. #5
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I trusted in seller's description and bought the crossovers and I think I did well. They seem to be a copy of the old design just with new parts. I compared all capacitor's values with those published by Jeff Markwart for the 604-8G here

    http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart...les/604-8h.pdf

    and they're all exactly the same. Due to the construction of the XO I cannot check the values of the resistors and inductors. Looking at them

    e4803th9th

    you see the resistors are between the printed circuit board and the main aluminium board. And they are GLUED with their backs to the black aluminium board. So if it comes to repair - hopefully never - I'll have to brake them off.

    But that's the only thing I dislike. They're looking really great and as new. Seller didn't promise too much. Since there is the same number of resistors (4)and inductors (3) in these and the 604-8H design I assume they have the same layout. Let's wait for the sound ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.